Since Shihan is considered a master teacher of the art, emphasis is placed on the teaching skill of the candidate, not the physical ability to perform the movements.
- Candidate must be a Yondan (4 th ) Degree or higher.
- Candidate must be member of the IUKF.
- Candidate must be an active teacher of adults, children or both, and has shown excellence in their teaching skills at the dojo, at regional workouts, or summer camp.
- This means that the candidate teaches on a regular basis (“x” times per week), not simply once in a while. Teaching is a honed skill and must be constantly worked. Therefore shihan candidates must either own or train at an active dojo.
- Candidate must be either an instructor or assistant instructor at a dojo.
- The candidate's current instructor must submit a written recommendation. Letter must include the candidate's martial arts resume.
- Forms must be submitted to
. (PO Box 217, Mount Dora, FL 32756)
The application should include the following:
- Email Address
- Teacher's signature
- Teacher's recommendation letter and candidate's resume.
- Processing fee of $100.
Certificate will be mailed to the instructor for signature and presentation to the candidate.
Note: Please review the following Shihan application and instructor recommendation for the format I am looking for from the candidate's instructor.
George E. Mattson