Bill Glasheen's Cobra Fist Video

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Scott Danziger

Bill Glasheen's Cobra Fist Video

Post by Scott Danziger »

Here is the clip: Bill Glasheen's Cobra Fist

Post by Guest »

Interesting clip Bill.. you've got alot of power thats for sure. What is that material?
chef

Post by chef »

A lot of intense focus on a small surface....definitely could do some damage to a body.

Hope you plan on buying new mats for them, Bill.

Chef
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Very nice, Bill_ good whipping body mechanics_

Very similar to what Carlos used against the knifer punk, breaking both his jaws. :D

But many people watching this will say that there is no such thing as body whip in Uechi. :lol:
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Theres the dragon !!!

Not In Uechi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobra Fist

Post by Guest »

Wow. I liked the torso thrust behind those audible, penetrating strikes. :o
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Bill are you striking with the second knuckles ? , I always use a cranes beak for that kind of movement .
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Awesome!! 8)

A crane strike by a tiger, who was raised by dragons. :o

Who wouldn't backpedal after being sucker-struck by that?! :lol: That is, before they fell down and expired. 8O
My temples feel very vulnerable right now. :(

By the way Bill, did I see you gathering a little chi, there? :P

Uechi rules! :)

Post by Guest »

great clip Bill. lots of spinal whip initiated with rotation. Don't want to get hit with a bunch of those. Good stuff, great mechanics, now I'm just more interested in seing that work in progress you mentioned. :wink:

You've inspired me to post a clip on sinking in the manly man bad guys room. To destructive for the forums I'm afraid. :lol:
gmattson
Site Admin

See...

Post by gmattson »

I've been telling all you "bad boys" what a "treasure" Bill is and you have been making fun of him because you thought he was "just another brilliant geek"!

Uechi "rocks"... and we have lots of fantastic, creative and caring teachers throughout the world.
:)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
diegoz_ar

Post by diegoz_ar »

mi golpe favorito!!!
(my favorite technique)

Sensei Carlos always teach this technique when explaining seisan bunkai. This kind of things are the ones that make me prefer Uechi Karate, over other systems.

Saludos,
Diego
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Tony wrote: What is that material?
The technique, Tony, comes from Seisan kata and Sansieryu kata. It is suggested but never consummated in the "leaning" front elbow strike of Seisan, and the charging front elbow strike in Sanseiryu. It is also suggested but never consummated in our hiji tsuki hojoundo exercise (the very first elbow movement).

From a practical point of view, you drive forwards and "joust" the front elbow strike right up the middle. There's a great photo in Master Uechi's blue book showing how this is done. If you're going to take someone out with a weapon, you use your "wauke" as nothing more than a feeler as you charge inside the defenses and deliver the forward momentum of your center with the tip of the elbow. Once inside and having gotten their attention (to say the least), that elbow movement makes the person double over and exposes their head. My target - which always seems to pop up when I do this in bunkai - would either be the temple or the triple warmer. I understand from Van that Carlos broke someone's jaw with this, and that's the idea with using the triple warmer as a target. You are going to hit "something" good in that region - even if you miss a little. And coming at the side of the head rather than the front, there's little chance you'll hit your hand on something that will hurt it.

Also note with the wave-like (serpentine) motion, it's possible to throw one after the next after the next like "the wave" going around a football stadium.
fivedragons wrote: By the way Bill, did I see you gathering a little chi, there? :P
If it works for you... ;) Yea, that's the ticket. I did it with my chi! 8)

A biomechanics geek like me would call that "sequential summation of movement." It goes by other names as well in the literature. You start with the larger muscle groups, and proceed in a wave-like fashion to the smaller muscle groups at the extremities. I try to teach this principle in my class for kicking as well. It's only recently that my body "got it" on this one.

Dana does this well on Sanchin thrust. For my crane-like body (a shorter version of Big Unit), I find that these kinds of strikes work better for me. Even when I weighed 145 pounds, I found out I could strike batters out with "heat" because of my lanky build. It's the same kind of mechanics Randy Johnson uses. Meanwhile, Dana makes this principle work better for her on her straight thrusts because of her particular build.

I've also started using these mechanics on my wauke with good effect. And then you start linking foot movement to body movement, and... and... It's addicting.

And yes, you are right. This is "the dragon" in our Uechi system that few Okinawan masters seem to have awakened in them. There are a few... (Nakamatsu, Uechi Kanei in his kicks, etc.)
Marcus wrote: Bill are you striking with the second knuckles ? , I always use a cranes beak for that kind of movement.
This is a hiraken, Marcus, with wrist flexion.

My boshiken, shoken, and hiraken techniques are based upon the hand muscle memory I pick up from doing the Okinawan jars and then advancing to my own custom exercises. The thumb turns 90 degrees here, and opposes the middle (flip the bird) knuckle. The other knuckles go along for the ride. If you'll look at my hand, I see I inadvertently had an effeminate thing going on with the pinkie. I didn't mean that and it isn't "macho" looking. But it does make a point. The only thing I focus on in my strike is that middle knuckle. Everything else is just there to support the basic structure.

Crane strike? If it works for you, do it. It doesn't work for me, Marcus. I don't (yet) have the hand strength to make a lot of that stuff work. But I just started playing with this particular technique, and accidentally noted that I could punch holes in things with it. I can hit something with a fist or hammerhand as hard as I want and not poke holes in things like I can with this structure. And if I try to do it with my crane beak? Forgetaboutit!!!

Furthermore, this doesn't stress the most distal joints in the fingers that are most prone to osteoarthritis later in life. Remember that!

If you'll look at the video closely, you'll see my fingers are very long and thin. I can make the shokens, boshikens, and hirakens work. That's my thing. Someone else with thick fingers will find something else they like.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks Bill 8)

And George , Bill`s still a geek like the rest of us .....

what other folks would spend so much time on the intraweb
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Very nice example of the body whip Bill -- thanks. :D
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”