Greetings!

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Megan Lieff

Greetings!

Post by Megan Lieff »

Hey guys! I just wanted to throw out an introduction to the commenters of this form. I am a new co-moderator for the Women & the Martial Arts forum, so I wanted to give my proper hello. =)

Thanks SO much to Dana for posting an announcement about me earlier in the week. My internet was out most of this week, but it's all fixed now, so I should be able to start posting/responding with regularity.

A bit about me: I grew up in a suburb of Philadelphia and studied Uechi there for about 7 years in grammar and high school, and earned my Shodan in 11th grade. I am a bit busier now, so I haven't studied in about 3 years. I'm currently a student at my local comm college, majoring in Women's Studies and Statistics. I am an organizer/activist and I focus my efforts around sexuality and violence. Currently I am most active volunteering at a local Rape Crisis Center and presenting workshops at conferences about Street Harassment.

I am REALLY excited to be here, get to know more of you, and contribute and start some great discussions. If you have any questions/comments for me, just let me know!

Thanks!!
-Megan
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Megan!

There's a good chance we've already met at one of the Mid-Atlantic regionals. If so, hello again. If not, well... get your booty back in the dojo and come play with us!!!

Stick with the statistics. You can go far with it in today's job market. It's especially helpful in healthcare, although you'll find it useful in most any social science venue.

I believe you'll have lots to offer on the violence front from your work with rape and harassment. My spouse used to be on call back in our UVa days for rape, and learned quite a bit while applying her nursing skills in this venue. You're a special person for doing this. Karma will reward you.

By all means just start writing about whatever experiences you have. It's all good. And your fellow moderators have your back.

Welcome!

- Bill
Dojo Roundtable
Megan Lieff

Post by Megan Lieff »

Bill - thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't think I have attended any of those regionals, but might I have met you at Steve's (Drehobl) house before? If you are the same Virginia person I am thinking of .... I remember you had a similar "get back in the dojo" message to deliver then, also!

I fear you over-estimate me, but perhaps I'll live up to such high expectations :D. I look forward to getting to the know people hear, and getting some good conversations started!

---Megan

Bill Glasheen wrote:Hello, Megan!

There's a good chance we've already met at one of the Mid-Atlantic regionals. If so, hello again. If not, well... get your booty back in the dojo and come play with us!!!

Stick with the statistics. You can go far with it in today's job market. It's especially helpful in healthcare, although you'll find it useful in most any social science venue.

I believe you'll have lots to offer on the violence front from your work with rape and harassment. My spouse used to be on call back in our UVa days for rape, and learned quite a bit while applying her nursing skills in this venue. You're a special person for doing this. Karma will reward you.

By all means just start writing about whatever experiences you have. It's all good. And your fellow moderators have your back.

Welcome!

- Bill
Dojo Roundtable
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Welcome, Megan...look forward to some interesting threads.
Van
Mars Bar

Post by Mars Bar »

Hi Megan.

Can you tell me how you got involved in your volunteering at the Rape Crisis Center? I've been thinking about getting involved involunteering and wondered what the first steps are.

and....

Welcome aboard. :) Some times the seas can be stormy on the forums but the knowledge gained from the folks on here is worth the journey!

Mary
Former moderator of Chow for Now :D

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”